Tuesday 21 June 2016

Thou Shalt Not

FF #10
Vidya’s locker was wide open, and the pinkish wrapper looked like the packet of biscuits she often shared with us. We had just finished our Chemistry practical classes; our lockers were right outside, along the passage. The first semester had begun only a month ago and we were getting to know each other. But Vidya was a good sport, and I could be a tease.
“Yay! Vidya has biscuits again!” I loudly announced and put my hand inside her locker to grab the packet.
My fingers felt something soft. The rapidity with which the brain inputs data, calculates and concludes is formidable: this couldn’t be biscuits; it was a woman’s locker; the object was soft; the wrapper was pink; one sees ads of all kinds on television. I felt blood rush to my face, my ears warm. I withdrew my hand within milliseconds, turned and rushed away. Vidya didn't seem to be around, but there were three other classmates in the proximity, and each had witnessed and understood the incident. The two girls were looking at each other with shocked expressions, or so I thought. The other witness, Subbu, followed me.
“Tell me Neel, what did you find inside Vidya’s locker?”
I admitted that I couldn’t be sure, but the object in the pink wrapper felt suspiciously soft. He knew exactly what I was thinking it could be.
“You don’t have sisters, do you? No wonder you are ridiculously naïve about feminine secrets. Forget Chemistry practicals; I, Subbu, am going to impart to you the most important practical lesson of your life: thou shalt not pry into feminine belongings!”
*
Almost a year later, a bunch of us, close friends by now, were spending a long weekend in Mahabaleshwar. All three rooms in a guesthouse had been booked. The girls were sharing the two small ones while the guys got the big room. I happened to go to the room Vidya was sharing. Two pink packets, similar to the one from her locker, were lying on the bed.
They contained face tissues.
21 Jun 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment